Inspiration from 70’s horror films such as Daughters of Darkness and Blood and Black Lace transcended the runway at Anna Sui Fall/Winter 2020 runway show - truly finding the beauty in horror.
Garren, celebrity hairstylist and co-founder of R+Co, created an outsized version of a WWII-era pin-up look for some of Sui's girls, rumpling the texture of the rolls and giving them the commanding height and volume that are signatures of Garren's styling. "This Gothic Vamp is a 2020 take on a '40’s look," he says of the newly iconic hairstyle. Garren used R+Co products to style the hair look for the show, which is detailed below.
Get the Look:
- Separate the hair into two sections, front and back, on a centre crown parting.
- Apply product depending on the hair's texture. For example: For fine hair, add SKYLINE Dry Shampoo Powder to build volume. For silky hair, mist on TROPHY Shine + Texture Spray and SAIL Soft Wave Spray to increase texture. For coarse hair, use TWO-WAY MIRROR Smoothing Oil to increase shine and smoothness.
- Backcomb the front section with a Mason Pearson brush. Roll hair on each side toward the centre parting, keeping the rolls loose, yet large. Pin into place. Using your fingers, gently finesse the shape of each roll to make it bigger and fit the individual's features. Note: Each shape is unique to the wearer.
- Lightly tease the bottom section to bring out natural bend and texture.
- Pull loose a few pieces from the rolls around the face to play up modern texture.
- Finish the look with an all-over mist of OUTER SPACE Flexible Hairspray for hold and support.
Anna Sui F/W 2020
Hair: Garren, co-founder of R+Co
Photography: Chris Diaz